Sunday, April 8, 2012

Up Close and Personal: Views of Spring

The excitement of unseasonable temperatures is over - as is the warm weather.  It might have been "Summer in March", but now -- it is definitely "Spring in April".  It's windy and "brisk", but that's Ok.  Plants continue to emerge from the ground in spite of cooler temps and dandelions are still thriving.

Blooms are budding on the variegated Jacob's Ladder
(a new addition in 2011)
Spring is a great time to get an 'up close and personal' view of the garden(s).  With plants just at 'ankle' height, at least in Zone 5, you have to really get down to a grass roots level - usually on your knees or in a 'downward facing dog' position to see plant detail.  It's worth it - contorting into yoga positions to see the more intimate details of your plants.

Happily, new additions from 2011 are breaking ground in 2012.   Here are a few 'discoveries' in my travels around the yard:
Amsonia Hubrichitii - Blue Star: barely out of the ground
(Another new addition in 2011)
"May Breeze" Phlox - up and as iridescent as I remember
"Wine and Roses" Wegiela
(It cohabitates in the "Sun Garden" with Pink Guara, Moonbean Coreopsis and Cheddar Pinks"
I have taken a ton of pictures, mostly for historical purposes.  Encouraged by some really talented blog photographers, Garden Walk Garden Talk and The Whimsical Gardener, I continue to play with my DSLR to see how well I can showcase what I see... and keep it interesting.

Here are a few of the 'long timers':

Royal Purple Smoke Bush
(It's growing habit is facinating:  reminds me of a tall cactus)

A sunset view of "Crimson Pixie' Lillium Hybrid
PJM Rhododenron
(Back in action from a dicey Autumn and a pounding the last snowfall)

'Sargent' Crabapple (Malus sargentii)
I hope your gardens are doing well.  It's compost, a dandelion 'slayer' and a spade to enlarge my gardens, for me.  Wouldn't it be nice to notch out a few more hours in each day?  

Looking forward to catching up on your blogs ...
Namaste my friends !!



©  All content & photography by Shyrlene Foster at The Bunnies Buffet (unless noted)

19 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see the new additions popping up. I love the 'May Breeze' Phlox! The colour of the Smoke Bush is brilliant too. Temps are dropping every so slightly here, as we're now in mid-Autumn. I just love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernie - thanks so much! Slowly but surely, it seems that the gardens are starting to come together. Thinking about our opposite seasons is so fun - though your Autumn and Winter are quite a bit different!

      Delete
  2. My how lovely all that is growing...my zone 5 is too cold and not growing much after the warm up...we have had 2 weeks of frost and nightly freeze. Love the photos with your DSLR..hope to have one myself someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - many flower buds are tiny, but lovely non-the-less. We share 'Zones', so I can completely relate; the Midwest missed the freezes so far, though. The DSLR was a very generous gift; it is absolutely worth every dime - I wish you speedy success in acquiring one!

      Delete
  3. Thanks making the extra effort to take these photos ... Yoga is really difficult, even the postures where you're suppposed to lie down and think of nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. b-a-g, it's so nice to have efforts appreciated! As you can imagine, the neighbors got quite a view during the yoga photography! :) (...and who can lie still and think of nothing? MUCH harder than 'Warrior 3'!)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for mentioning GWGT. You have some fine macro shots and must be commended for getting those views. Laying down in the grass and attaining gymnastic or yoga positioning is really a dedication to photography. You have some very pretty DOF in the images, the Jacob's Ladder, especially. The vignetting is really a plus too. I am hoping the weather evened out. We got strong winds yesterday and I thought the lilac trees were going to come down as they were doing downward facing dog. Lucky they are so flexible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GWGT is an excellent resource for photography coaching! I love your posts! Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated. (Vignetting is a new favorite.) Hopefully your winds will ease up - it's always nerve-racking to watch trees bend in unnatural positions, hoping not to lose them.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your photos! Keep up the Great Photography!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smiley and I have created a monster!! Smiley and I would talk gardens (or kids) and Shyrlene would count ceiling tiles in boredom! You're doing great girlfriend and welcome to the obsession (sp?)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing some of my secrets, Anonymous! xoxo

      (Just wait until you see my expanded gardens - someone earlier coined the phrase "rivers of flowers" and that was it; I have to do it!)

      Delete
  7. Shyrlene thank you for the link love! It's always a pleasure to visit your blog and take in the sights of your garden. You know I love your up close and personal shots! I'm never too proud to manipulate my body into all kinds of strange poses...I'm sure my neighbor thinks me a bit strange but for just the right shot, I'll totally embarrass myself! I came across a smoke bush the other day and fell in love with its gorgeous coloring. I've been trying to focus on native and adapted species for new additions but told myself I'd do some research. I'm even more curious now. Love that sweet phlox too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat - your photos should be in a gallery, glad to send readers down to visit! (Neighbors adjacent to enthusiastic gardeners will always be entertained, or tortured if that same neighbor likes 'manicured grass only'.)

      BTW, my Smoke Bush has been pretty tolerant of dry summers. Not sure it that translates well to Texas, but it would be worth checking into!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos. I'm glad the weather has reverted to spring, its rightful place and not to winter like so many were fearing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace - thank you so much! I agree with you, the weather is right were it should be and plants are emerging at just the right speed (not screaming out of the ground like March).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pictures, lovelier posts. Shyrlene, you are very talented and your blog is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petro - thank you so much for your kind words. I'm am SO glad you have stopped by for a visit; thanks for following my blog!

      Delete
  11. We offer variety like you have never seen in a Chicago buffet restaurant ever before. When you visit the Red Apple Buffet you will have the opportunity to choose from a wide variety of meats and fish, vegetables, side dishes, soups, pastas, salads, desserts, and more.

    Chicago Buffet

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails